WSJT-X 2.3.0 introduces a new logging system that requires the installation of some additional packages. As a result, upgrading is not quite as simple as with previous versions.
Here’s a step by step guide.
- Begin by updating the operating system (OS) with the following commands in a terminal session:
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y && reboot
- This will update the OS and reboot the Pi
- The WSJT-X logging requires use of the en_US.UTF-8 locale that’s not installed by default, so we need to add it as follows:
- From a terminal session enter:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
- In the window that appears, scroll down to en_US.UTF-8 and press the spacebar to select it. You should see an asterix appear next to the selected locale.
- Tab to OK and press Enter then press Enter again on the next screen. You will see messages that locales are being generated.
- To make sure you have all the required packages installed, copy and paste the following into a terminal session:
sudo apt install libgfortran5 libqt5widgets5 libqt5network5 \
libqt5printsupport5 libqt5multimedia5-plugins libqt5serialport5 \
libqt5sql5-sqlite libfftw3-single3 libgomp1 libboost-all-dev \
- That completes the preparation, so the next task is to download and install the new WSJT-X:
- Open a browser and navigate to: https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html
- Scroll down to Installation Packages and select: wsjtx_2.3.0_armhf.deb
- This will download the installation file to the Downloads folder
- The final stage is to install the new version. This will install over your existing version, but keep all your settings:
sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/wsjtx_2.3.0_armhf.deb
- When this completes, you can run WSJT-x as usual from the main menu.
Hopefully, this will give you a trouble-free update.
Mike – G4WNC